Ohio's capital city has long been a bustling center of commerce. One hundred years ago, the hub of that activity was the location of the busy Union Rail Station near the corner of Nationwide Boulevard and High Street - right where the Lofts is located today. Here, four- and five-story buildings were erected as monuments to this thriving city. The district grew into the city's transportation, warehouse and wholesale center.
One of those grand structures, the Carr Building, is among the area's last remaining original warehouse buildings. From 1882 to 1932 this handsome brick and wood-beam structure was the home of the Columbus Transfer Company. Then, in 1936 the Carr Plumbing Supply Company took over, making it the company's headquarters until 1979. After that time, The Carr Building served as headquarters for one of the city's most prestigious architectural firms.
Then in the late 1990s, a small group of visionary leaders dreamed of creating a hotel unlike any other. They knew that the history and drama of the Carr Building, as it was best known, was worth preserving. They knew that treasures were hidden inside...treasures they wanted to unearth and highlight.
From mammoth wood and steel beams to exposed brick, curved lintels, floor-to-ceiling windows and tall, dramatic doorways, the Carr Building was a shining example of late 19th-century architecture.
Using the Carr Building's underlying beauty, a team of gifted architects and designers transformed this historic structure into a one-of-a-kind hotel. Since The Lofts opened its doors in 1998, this spectacular hotel has earned rave reviews from the architectural, historic preservation and hospitality communities; a fitting existence for such a beautiful building with such a rich and interesting past.